Odeon Cinemas Wimbledon
Located in the southwest London district of Wimbledon. This initially opened given that Regal Cinema on twentieth November 1933 with Buck Jones in “The Ca Trail” and Anna Neagle in “Bitter Sweet”. It was designed for and operated by County Cinemas sequence and they employed mentioned cinema architect Robert Cromie to develop a splendid addition to their circuit of cinemas.
Designed in an art form Deco style, the magnificent murals and designs within the building were performed by popular interior designers Mollo & Egan. Organist Reginald Foort had been commissioned to design an unique system for the Conacher 4Manual/20rank organ which was set up when you look at the cinema and he ended up being billed regarding starting evening ‘at the system of this Regal 'wonder’ organ'. Seating had been offered in stalls and balcony, the stage ended up being 25 legs deep with a proscenium width of 48 foot. There were twelve dressing spaces which in the early times were well used when variety functions provided an element of the cinemas programme. The Regal additionally had a cafe for the utilization of clients and also the average man or woman.
County Cinemas were taken over because of the Oscar Deutsch sequence of Odeon Theatres in September 1939 and it also became an additional cinema in Wimbledon as they already had an intention built (in 1936) Odeon Cinema on Worple path. The Regal had been re-named Gaumont from 28th November 1949 and was finally re-named Odeon from 9th September 1962 following the original Worple path Odeon had been shut. The magnificent Conacher organ was separated for scrap and taken from the building in 1958.
In November 1972 it had been divided in to a triple display screen cinema utilizing the previous balcony sitting 705, as well as 2 mini cinemas in back stalls seating 128 and 107. Further modifications took place 1979 as soon as the two mini-cinemas were enlarged to seat 218 and 190. In 1991 two additional displays had been added one sitting 175 in the previous front stalls area and a 90 chair display screen found in the former cafe. Minimal stayed to be noticed for the original decoration inside multi-screen location.
The Odeon ended up being closed on 1st December 2002 whenever a brand new purpose-built 12 display Odeon multiplex cinema was opened in Wimbledon. The previous Regal/Odeon ended up being demolished in May/June 2003 and an office block the Chartered Institute of Personnel & developing had been constructed on the site.