Wimbledon Park Hospital
We went to the former Atkinson Morley Hospital in 1992 as part of the RCHME Hospitals venture. It had been after that however operating as an acute medical center, specialising in mind surgery. A medical facility closed-in 2003 and remained vacant and rotting for more than a decade. Its becoming became flats by Berkeley Homes. It absolutely was designed as a convalescent home in conjunction with St George’s Hospital, Westminster, and ended up being built-in 1867 with big resources kept by Atkinson Morley, for the purpose of ‘receiving and keeping and usually assisting the convalescent bad customers from St George’s Hospital’ in Westminster (Kelly, 1887). Atkinson Morley, the manager associated with the Burlington Hotel in Cork Street, Burlington Gardens, London, passed away in 1858 a wealthy guy. He left many bequests to their loved ones and buddies also for non-profit functions. These included the establishment of surgical scholarships at University College, a fund the widows of tradesmen from St James’s parish in Westminster, and gifts of £1, 000 each to Queen Charlotte’s Lying-in Hospital, the Lock Hospital, St Mary’s Hospital at Paddington, and Royal Sea-Bathing Infirmary at Margate. Inside regards to Morley’s will, the residue of their property would be to be allowed to accumulate for five years before being placed on the building associated with medical center. The foundation rock ended up being laid on 25 July 1867, together with medical center was opened on July 14 1869, the anniversary of Morley’s demise. There was clearly maybe not the usual sophisticated service on the occasion, due to the fact governors of St George’s Hospital, who acted due to the fact trustees of Morley’s bequest, felt it is unacceptable to blow any of the brand new hospital’s funds on such a conference. Its unclear which designer should be paid because of the design of the medical center. Edward and John Kelly seem to have been acting as architects into hospital from 1866-7 and John Crawley took over in 1867-70.
2nd Edition OS Map 1899 (Reproduced by permission associated with the nationwide Library of Scotland )
The hospital ended up being built on Copse Hill, on a website which sloped gently south. Built of stock brick, with monochrome brick string programs and white-brick screen minds, it was of two storeys and basement and ended up being designed on a T-shaped plan.
Floor program of Atkinson Morley Convalescent Home from H. C. Burdett’s Hospital and Asylums of the World, 1893. This shows the cellar program regarding the north block (at the bottom of the program) which, because of the sloping site, had been the floor flooring of this main south block (near the top of the master plan)
This shows the ground/first flooring plan. The wards tend to be associated with Nightingale type, although later convalescent houses often departed from pavilion arrange for something even more homely, as the clients had been not any longer ill, and many were ambulant, and thus pleasant reasons were additionally a significant function.
The first/second floor plan.
The primary entrance and administration offices had been in the north side, linked to the customers’ wing by the kitchens within the cellar together with chapel overhead. The customers’ wing, which formed the cross-bar of T, had a lengthy south level. The basement here was at reality at ground level, because of the slope regarding the floor.
A portico, since eliminated, sheltered the main entry which led into a square hallway with the committee room on a single side and a sitting-room for resident medical officer on the other. Two corridors extended towards the south, on either region of the chapel, which offered accessibility the patients’ wing, because of the men’s accommodation regarding east side together with women’s on the western. The chapel rose up through two storeys and had been illuminated by arched house windows with geometrically patterned glazing. There is a gallery in the south end, the altar becoming placed in the north end. Your kitchen into the cellar had nothing above it such that it could possibly be provided with a large sky-light. Right underneath the chapel were the stores, larders and scullery.
Atkinson Morley Hospital, Wimbledon, photographed this year (© copyright laws Richard Rogerson and licensed for reuse under this imaginative Commons Licence)
The central room from the south front side, with a canted bay-window, was Matron’s sitting area. To either part of the was a linen room as well as the Matron’s bed room. On the outside of these main three bays had been somewhat advanced level and rose around an extra storey with a steep pitched roof ornamented by ornamental iron brattishing. To either part of this main section had been four bays standing somewhat advanced through the external wings. On the ground flooring this area ended up being occupied by children’s wards, plus in the single bay between this additionally the exterior ward wings, there is a tiny ward containing one sleep. Underneath the children’s wards had been dining-rooms when it comes to clients, as well as in the centre a dining-room and day-room the nurses. Regarding first floor there have been staff bedrooms over the children’s wards therefore the bay-windowed room had been an extra bed room.
The exterior wings, illuminated by five high and narrow windows for each long part, contained wards on the ground and very first floors and enormous day-rooms when you look at the raised cellar. The wards had been furnished with between 15 and 22 bedrooms together with a fireplace or stove in the centre. The sanitary towers were on north part, since were the stairs.