Wimbledon College uniform
DonheadIs a completely independent, preparatory, day school for kids located in Wimbledon in London Borough of Merton. It also functions as the primary feeder preparation school of Wimbledon College, a fellow Jesuit college positioned across the roadway. Both schools tend to be in governance associated with the Jesuits.
Donhead takes guys old 4 to 11, and after that they often times carry on their secondary knowledge at the university or at different independent or grammar schools across London.
Title Donhead maybe hails from the Anglo-Saxon "head" indicating top and "don" meaning slope – "the top of the hill". The building referred to as Donhead Lodge had been integrated 1867 and was initially occupied by a barrister, one Freeman Oliver Haynes. Mr Haynes died in 1880 and very quickly after a Miss Elizabeth Arnold became the owner. In 1902 the house was taken over by Henry Smail and remained in the family's ownership until after the loss of Mrs. Smail in 1932. Because of the early 1930s, Wimbledon university was looking for appropriate premises in Wimbledon in which the junior courses could move to form a preparatory school featuring its very own headmaster. Fr Oscar Xavier Withnell SJ, Wimbledon University's rector at that time, was presented with first refusal purchasing the home straight away opposite the College gates at a purchase cost of £6000. This house was "Donhead Lodge". Donhead's very first pupils contained three classes named Elements, Preparatory, and Lower Preparatory, and numbered roughly 67 males altogether. They entered the institution the very first time at 9:50 Monday morning 5 September 1933 beneath the assistance of Donhead's first headmaster, Fr Miller.
Even though the three courses had migrated throughout the road, your way to and from the College had been repeated often times as Donhead relied from the College continuing to allow it to make use of specific facilities - chapel, gymnasium, playing fields, etc. A unique cap, wrap, and blazer couldn't come into usage until the second and 3rd terms. Mr Wiber, with Fr. Rector's final approval, negotiated using the firm Dempsey's of Tulse Hill to provide a "Royal Blue" uniform, getting from the thing that was described as "the rather drab, university dark-blue". The "Royal Blue" colour ended up being a distinctly less heavy color than just what an individual may be familiar with today – one explanation becoming that the original color became impossible to get throughout the war.
For quite some time the school authorities regarded Donhead mainly as a Junior division and exercised fairly tight control on every aspect of school. From the beginning the boys in each course had been organised into two edges to vie against both when you look at the markings provided for scholastic work (Romans and Carthaginians). The reward for the winners at the conclusion of term ended up being the "success Walk", initially an afternoon without classes and taken on with a pleasant walk on Wimbledon popular. In the course of time alternate tourist attractions replaced the stroll nevertheless title stayed.